About Me

My photo
Qualified as an occupational therapist in Malaysia, registered in the UK. Former Lecturer and Head of Occupational Therapy in a Malaysian private higher education institute. I take a social justice informed approach and apply an intersectional lens to my work.

Friday, December 26, 2014

Eye Pain When You're Staring at the Computer Screen? Here's what to do.

Today I want to call your attention to a very special kind of software that you can install on your computer to reduce eye pain. It's called f.lux.

https://justgetflux.com/

Yep, just get f.lux.

I came across this software when I was doing research for my occupational therapy GR:IN Lifestyle Modification sleep and rest management programme (yes, I also include sleep and rest management into my occupational therapy work, and sleep and rest play a very important part in pain management, just as much as pain can influence the quality of your sleep!)

Of course I installed it into my computer to try it out before recommending it to my clients. (I don't practice what I preach, I preach what I practice. So the saying goes!)

Initially, it was a bit hard for my eyes to get used to as my laptop screen seemed to become weirdly orange-ish but after a bit (within the first session) it was fine. Just took some time for my eyes to adjust I guess.

I like f.lux a lot. I don't really get that much eye pain when using my computer anymore.

Another handy method I am learning to use is the Pomodoro technique (or the tomato technique - which is easier to remember. You'll still find the Pomodoro technique if you google "tomato technique").

The gist of the Tomato Technique is, set a timer for 25 minutes, work through those 25 minutes - focus, then make a "tick" on piece of paper and take a 5 minute break. When you have accumulated 4 "ticks", take a half hour break. This will also help reduce your eye strain (provided you leave your desk when you're on your 5 minute break - when I first started I used my 5 minute break to go on Facebook and watch YouTube videos. Big mistake I tell you, my eyes were dying!) Of course there are more sophisticated ways to using this Tomato Technique, but you can go find out more on their website.

I'll make a post about what cool health-supporting things you can do while on your 5 minute break. It will be fun! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment